Divorce Introduces A Major Change In Family Dynamics
For most families, divorce is an upsetting and often traumatic time. At Geary & Geary, LLP, our divorce lawyers in Lowell can help you navigate through this difficult time with sensitivity to your specific legal needs. We recognize that every divorce is different because every family is unique, and our attorneys will work with you to find the best approach to handling your divorce. We represent clients throughout Massachusetts and in southern New Hampshire.
Contact our divorce attorneys online for committed, compassionate representation in your divorce or family law/divorce matter. You may also call our family law/divorce office at 978-319-4194 to schedule your consultation.
What Is The Best Way To Handle Your Divorce?
With more than 15 years of trial experience in Massachusetts, our divorce attorneys will work with you to find the best way to resolve your family law and divorce disputes. We are experienced at handling all aspects of contested and uncontested divorce in Massachusetts.
There are many different ways to move forward with your divorce. We will strategize with you to determine the process that works best for you and your family. Some of your options include:
- Joint petition for divorce (or uncontested divorce) — When you and your spouse are able to reach an agreement as to all matters concerning children and the division of property, Massachusetts law provides for an expedited divorce process. The lawyers of Geary & Geary, LLP, represent clients in joint petitions for divorce at all phases, from completing financial disclosures, to negotiating with your spouse or opposing counsel, to the drafting of the final agreement for presentation to the court.
- Alternatives to traditional litigation: cooperative divorce and collaborative divorce processes — For many couples and families, a traditional litigation approach to resolving your family disputes is not appropriate or desired. Collaborative divorce, cooperative divorce and divorce mediation offer a variety of highly effective approaches to divorce and family law/divorce conflicts. We welcome the opportunity to work with you to develop a customized approach to dealing with your divorce in a way that feels right and dignified to you. Our attorneys are skilled negotiators who are willing and able to work cooperatively with your spouse and opposing counsel to resolve marital and family disputes as efficiently and sensitively as possible.
- Traditional litigation in contested divorce actions — In situations where the traditional divorce litigation approach is the appropriate alternative, our legal team has the skill and experience to fiercely advocate for you in court. The reality of the current economy means that parties often need to get into court quickly to protect themselves and their families. We will make sure you understand your options, the time frame for your divorce and how we can help you through the process.
If you have been served with a domestic relations summons, speak with an attorney at Geary & Geary, LLP, immediately for a consultation to determine your rights and responsibilities.
Are You Confused About Alimony And Division Of Your Marital Assets?
Massachusetts law sets forth factors for the court, and all parties, to use in determining the equitable division of marital assets and to determine whether alimony is appropriate as well as the amount and duration of payments from one spouse to another. Factors include the following:
- Length of marriage
- Conduct of parties
- Age and health
- Station in life and needs of each spouse
- Occupation, vocational skills and employability
- Amount and sources of income
- Opportunity for future acquisition of capital assets and income
- Present and future needs of any children
A new alimony law was passed by the legislature in Massachusetts in 2009, marking the most significant change to alimony law in decades. In the past, judges could award lifelong alimony in divorce cases. Under the law, the amount of alimony and the duration are dependent on the length of the marriage. Only in cases where the couple has been married for more than 20 years do judges have the discretion to award alimony for an indefinite period of time.
Our attorneys help you understand how the law will affect alimony in your divorce. Whether you will be paying alimony or receiving it, we will work to ensure that your rights are protected and you receive a fair alimony agreement under the law.
Comprehensive Divorce Services
Our experienced attorneys understand that each divorce case presents its own unique challenges. As a result, we work closely with each client we serve to address any and all issues involved in his or her divorce, including:
- Child custody
- Child support
- Property division
- Parental relocation
- Post-divorce modifications
We will explain in detail how child custody is awarded and how child support is calculated. Many factors are considered, and we will work hard to see that you obtain the best outcome possible.
Contact Our Marital And Domestic Relations Attorneys
Call Geary & Geary, LLP, at 978-319-4194 to schedule an initial consultation, or provide us with more information about your changing family dynamic.